“Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but about learning to dance in the rain” – Vivian Green
As a psychologist, I firmly believe that a quality based therapeutic relationship is central to the therapeutic process. The fundamental principles upon which this relationship is based is that of unconditional positive regard, accurate empathy and genuiness. The client’s own potentials are the power centre of effective therapy. Therapy assists clients to activate those self-healing potentials by assisting clients to develop an understanding of themselves, through liberating their own resources and by managing their lives more effectively.
Furthermore, different clients have different needs. There are many “brands” of psychotherapy but I begin by talking with the client to determine, in a collaborative way, the type of approach that best fits the client’s needs. As a psychologist, I aim to help clients identify, develop and use resources that will make them more effective agents of change both within the sessions and within their everyday lives.
“When you can’t change the direction of the wind, adjust your sails”– H. Jackson Brown JR
At my Fourways office I offer the following services:
- Individual Therapy (Child, adolescent, adult).
- Group Therapy (Child, adolescent, adult).
- Play Therapy.
- Couples Therapy.
- Performance Development (Sport).
- Assessment ( Scholastic, career, subject choice, personal growth, MMCI, MMPI).
- Outpatient Drug Treatment (Adolescent/Adult) (Assessment, individual sessions, family sessions).
- Group based Adventure Therapy.
- Group Psycho education/workshops.
Adults and Adolescents:
Presenting complaints that may be addressed in therapy include:
- Relationship Difficulties
- Parental Guidance
- Behavioural Problems
- Drug abuse
- Adjustment Difficulties
- Academic Difficulties (study skills)
- Self-Growth and Exploration (Self esteem, self-motivation, decision making, personality development)
- Eating and Sleeping Problems
- Stress Management
- Performance Development (Sport)
When conducting sessions with children, I use Play therapy techniques. Play therapy is a form of psychotherapy that uses play to communicate with and assist children, to prevent or resolve psychosocial challenges. Various forms of ‘play’ are utilized in therapy to help the child express what is troubling them when they do not have the verbal language to do so. Although everyone benefits, play therapy is especially appropriate for children ages 3 through 12 years old. Teenagers and adults have also benefited from play techniques.
Possible outcomes of Play Therapy:
- Develop new and creative solutions to problems.
- Develop respect and acceptance of self and others.
- Learn to identify, experience and express emotion more effectively.
- Cultivate empathy and respect for the thoughts and feelings of others.
- Learn and apply new social skills.
- Develop self-efficacy and self confidence.
My Consultation Fees:
R898 per session (Medical aid rate 2018) for both cash and medical aid. I am affiliated with all medical aids and can claim directly if funds are available. The sessions are 50 minutes in duration.
Laken FolsterCounselling Psychologist
BA. (UP) BA. Hons (UNISA) MA Psych (UP)
Private Practice: 0594326